Family Blames Pet Bird for Deaths

A Corpus Christi, Texas man died and his daughter spent weeks in the hospital because of a diseased cockatiel the daughter purchased from a PetSmart store, according to a lawsuit filed by the man's family.

Joe De La Garza died at the age of 63 from psittacosis, also known as parrot disease and parrot fever, KRIS 6 News reported. It is a zoonotic infectious disease caused by a bacterium called Chlamydophila psittaci and can be passed from numerous bird species to humans.