7 people sickened by fumes at Boston school

Seven people including one child were taken to a hospital after a phone charger emitted fumes at a Boston school for children with special needs.

A spokesman for the fire department says a student’s phone charger overheated and started sparking at about 9:30 a.m. Monday at the Manville School.

More on this...

A staff member took the device to a bathroom and doused it with water, and it emitted a vapor that made people feel sick and light-headed. Those affected are expected to be OK.

A hazardous materials team checked the air quality to ensure the school was safe, and evacuations were not necessary.