13-Year-Old Boy Suffers Temporary Paralysis From Tick Bite

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

A 13-year-old boy from Washington State suffered temporary paralysis after he was bitten by a tick.

According to the Seattle Times, Daniel Smith awoke last Tuesday unable to get out of his bed, lift his leg or swallow.

Doctors, who discovered the tick along his hairline, quickly determined that he was suffering from tick paralysis.

The condition is relatively rare and goes away fairly quickly - usually within 24 hours - once the parasite is removed, according to the report.

However, about 10 percent of victims die from respiratory paralysis if the tick is not removed in time.

The condition is most common in Western states, the Rocky Mountains and Western Canada, Rebecca Baer, an epidemiologist for the Washington State Department of Health, told The Seattle Times.