Donald Trump said in a radio interview Tuesday that he has “no interest” in Trump TV, or the idea that he would follow a loss on Election Day with the creation of a new network drawing on his populist base of support.
“I hear it all over the place. I have a tremendous fan base, we have a tremendous base,” Trump said in an interview with 700WLW in Cincinnati. We have the most incredible people, but I just don’t have any interest in that. I have one interest, that’s on November eight.”
His comments were first reported by CNN.
There has been speculation that Trump would try to launch a new cable or over-the-top network ever since he named Steve Bannon as his campaign CEO in August. Bannon was the former executive chairman of Breitbart News Network.
The rumors that some kind of network was in the works increased after the campaign unveiled what some saw as a trial run. At last week’s presidential debate, the Trump campaign debuted campaign coverage on its Facebook page, with their own anchors, set and guests previewing the debate and offering analysis afterward. On Monday, the campaign unveiled what it said would be daily campaign coverage each evening on Facebook Live.
Trump’s denial that he has any interest in starting a network could be politically wise, as any signal that he was making post-election plans for a new venture could be seen as an acknowledgement that he doesn’t think he will win.