Odd News

Hoverboard blamed for California house fire that killed dogs

Bryan Llenas reports from New York


A hoverboard sparked a house fire in Santa Rosa, California, that killed two dogs, fire officials said.

The fire broke out Tuesday in a girl's bedroom where the hoverboard was being charged, the Santa Rosa Press Democrat reported.

Santa Rosa Fire Battalion Chief Mark Basque estimated the blaze caused $200,000 to $250,000 in damage.

The home was unoccupied except for the two dogs -- a labradoodle and a Boston terrier -- who died of apparent smoke inhalation.

The two-wheeled, self-balancing, battery-powered devices have drawn criticism in recent months, as reports have come out across the country of them bursting into flames.