LA CENTER, Wash. – Fire officials say liquid fabric softener may have played a role after a nine-year-old Washington girl suffered severe burns after her nightgown caught on fire.
The Columbian reports Addie Perrenoud was hospitalized with second and third-degree burns on 75 percent of her body after her homemade flannel nightgown caught fire on June 27.
Fire Marshal Richard Martin tells The Columbian it appears Addie lit a match in her bathroom before the fire, but officials aren't sure of many more details.
Martin says investigators initially were considering an accelerant such as hairspray or air freshener as the cause of the blaze, but that they are now considering liquid Downy as a possible accelerant.
He says Downy warning labels and some studies say the fabric softener may degrade flame-retardant treatment. Downy's website features a warning that is on Downy non-concentrated liquid fabric softener.
“Do not use this product on children’s sleepwear or garments labeled as flame resistant as it may reduce flame resistance. Do not use on garments made with fluffier fabrics containing cotton (such as fleece and terry cloth) as it may increase the flammability of these fabrics," it reads, according to The Columbian.
Addie was flown to the Oregon Burn Center at Legacy Emanuel Medical Center in Portland via Life Flight helicopter and was listed in critical condition as of Friday afternoon, a Legacy spokeswoman tells The Columbian.