UNITED NATIONS – The United Nations says two U.N. peacekeepers injured in an attack last week on a U.N. base in northern Mali have died, bringing the death toll to seven.
Deputy spokesman Farhan Haq said Monday that all seven killed in the shelling of the camp in Kidal early Friday were from Guinea.
About 30 peacekeepers were wounded in the attack, which the Mali-based Islamic extremist group Ansar Dine claimed responsibility for on Saturday.
Haq said Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon called Guinea's president to offer condolences, and the U.N. envoy for Mali will accompany the bodies to Guinea on Wednesday.
The United Nations Staff Union said the greatest loss of life of U.N. personnel in 2015 occurred in Mali, for the second year in a row.