LONDON – Britain's defense minister is rejecting claims in a leaked document that the U.K.'s defense reforms have weakened the confidence of the country's armed forces.
Defense Secretary Liam Fox says he does not agree with the Nov. 3 document seen by the Daily Telegraph newspaper, which says the government's controversial process was rushed, failed to inform the forces of where cuts would fall, and did not keep international allies informed.
Fox said Thursday the document was not official and was drafted by a junior staffer without authorization.
Fox has previously warned Prime Minister David Cameron that planned deep cuts to military spending could seriously damage soldier morale. Those comments were part of a letter leaked to the Daily Telegraph in September.