The Latest: Thai police seek 2 new suspects in bombing probe: Thai woman and foreign man

The latest on the investigation in the Bangkok shrine bombing (all times local):


1 p.m.

Thai police say they are seeking two new suspects — a Thai woman and a foreign man of unknown nationality — in the widening investigation into Bangkok's deadly bombing two weeks ago.

The police released a photo of the woman's Thai identification card and a sketch of the man in a televised announcement Monday.

The Aug. 17 bombing of the Erawan Shrine in central Bangkok left 20 people dead and more than 120 injured.

On Saturday, police arrested a man from an apartment in Bangkok's outskirts and seized bomb-making equipment. More bomb-making materials were found in a second apartment during a separate raid in the nearby neighborhood of Min Buri.

National police spokesman Prawuth Thavornsiri said Monday the apartment in Min Buri was rented by the Thai woman who is being sought. During the broadcast, police showed her ID picture in which she is wearing a black headscarf.

He said the man is believed to have lived in the apartment.


10:30 a.m.

Thai police probing Bangkok's deadly bombing say they have discovered bomb-making materials during a raid of a second apartment on the outskirts of the capital.

National police spokesman Prawuth Thavornsiri said Monday that police found fertilizer, gun powder, digital clocks and remote-controlled cars whose parts can be used for detonation, among other items, during a raid over the weekend at an apartment in Bangkok's Min Buri district.

Prawuth said "these are bomb-making materials" and added that police are looking to issue three or four arrest warrants but declined to give more details.

Min Buri is near the neighborhood where police on Saturday arrested an unnamed foreigner and seized a trove of bomb-making equipment that included detonators and ball bearings.

Prawuth said Saturday the man's nationality is still not known. He said "we are very certain he's part of the network" that carried out the Aug. 17 bombing.