CAIRO – A spokesman for the Libyan army says suicide bombers in two cars have attacked an army checkpoint in the eastern city of Benghazi, killing five people and wounding 20.
Col. Ahmed al-Mesmari said it was not immediately clear how many of the casualties were military or civilian. He spoke from Tobruk, where the internationally recognized government has been based since being expelled from Tripoli by Islamist-backed militias last year.
Libya has been mired in months of fighting between rival militias. Extremist groups, including affiliates of the Islamic State group, have exploited the turmoil since the 2011 overthrow and killing of Moammar Gadhafi.
Also Tuesday, officials in the Tripoli government mourned the death of Mohammed al-Aribi, a commander killed fighting against Tobruk forces in Benghazi alongside Islamic State and al-Qaida-linked militants.