MEXICO CITY – Mexico has canceled a high-speed rail concession granted earlier this week to a Chinese-led consortium that was the only bidder on the project.
A statement from President Enrique Pena Nieto's office says the process will be reopened to give others a chance to submit bids. It says the decision was made for reasons of transparency.
The manner in which the $3.7 billion project was awarded has been criticized by some opposition lawmakers.
What would be Mexico's first high-speed train is intended to travel 130 miles (210 kilometers) between Mexico City and the central city of Queretaro.
Calls to China Railway Construction Corp. were unanswered Friday, an off-work day in Beijing.