ROME – Italy has expelled two Libyans who police say urged attacks against Western targets following Islamic protests inspired by a film denigrating the Prophet Mohammad.
Rome police said Tuesday that the Libyans' behavior was particularly alarming following the attacks on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, in which the U.S. ambassador and three other Americans were killed.
Interior Minister Anna Maria Cancellieri signed the decree expelling them after their arrest last week.
In a statement, police said the Libyans, aged 26 and 28, had been in Rome for several months receiving medical care after being injured during the Libyan conflict. They were staying in a hotel.
Police said they were expelled after they "began activities of proselytizing and propaganda to jihad within the Libyan community."