THESSALONIKI, Greece – Greek authorities say a 13-year-old girl has died after inhaling fumes from a wood-burning stove her mother was using to heat the home after its electricity was disconnected.
The case has raised concern about poor families' ability to cope with the encroaching winter.
Police said Monday that the girl, of Serbian origin, died late Sunday night in the northern city of Thessaloniki . Neighbors said the 54-year-old mother had struggled financially and electricity to her apartment had been cut several months ago.
To qualify for international rescue loans, Greece has for the last three years been making tough spending cuts and tax increases, causing an increase in poverty. Thousands no longer have heating in their homes, unable to afford heating oil or high electricity bills.