Sometimes it gets tough walking the street down old Hooker Lane (search).

Tired of the giggles, the well-to-do residents living on the street in the Cos Cob section (search) of Greenwich, Conn., have demanded a name change to Stonebrook Lane, according to The New York Times.

"When you order something from a catalog, for example, and you give the street, there's snickering, always snickering," retired physician Nick Kopeloff, 66, told The Times.

Hooker Lane was ushered to its demise by the snickering, and a resident suggested Stonebrook Lane after seeing the name on a development in Westchester while he was on the way home from playing golf.

Most residents were happy to finally put a stop to the endless string of jibes.

"Well, there's 'You live on Prostitute Street,' that's typical," Brendan O'Connor, 12, told The Times.

Jane Olenchuk said both her kids have been mocked at school: "My son's a skater, and the kids at the park always say, 'Dude, you must be kidding,' when he tells them where he lives," she told The Times.

However, not everyone from Hooker Lane was happy with the change.

Gail Tomberg, a Hooker Lane resident since 1969, told The Times: "It's a big disruption. It's almost ridiculous. I have three boys, and they didn't suffer because of the name."

The row over goofy street names is not unique to the area, as earlier reported in Out There, residents in Columbia, Md., fought to change the name of "Satan Wood Drive."

Maple Syrup Thief in Sticky Situation

BRATTLEBORO, Vt. (AP) — Life could get a lot less sweet for a Putney, Vt., man whose conviction in the sale of stolen maple syrup makes him eligible for life in prison as a habitual offender.

A Windham County jury agreed with prosecutors that Stephen Bain, 52, sold more than 75 gallons of syrup to a New Hampshire wholesaler just hours after it was discovered missing from the Dwight Miller Orchards in Dummerston in May of 2003.

Aside from the charge of possession of stolen property, Bain was found guilty of felony possession of marijuana, in connection with pot found at his home during a search by sheriff's deputies.

The charges normally could bring up to 13 years in prison. But someone can be declared a habitual offender after three prior felony convictions — Bain had six.

"The jury decided he was a career criminal," Windham County Deputy State's Attorney Nat Seeley said after the trial.

He said he would seek a "lengthy" prison sentence.

Judge Katherine Hayes said she would sentence Bain after the state Department of Corrections completes a pre-sentence investigation.

Bain was found to have sold 900 pounds — or about 75 gallons — of syrup to well known syrup wholesaler and sugaring equipment dealer Bascom Maple Farms, of Acworth, N.H. He got $1,300 for the syrup, which was in half-gallon, gallon and 5-gallon containers.

Bain was on parole at the time of the theft, Seeley said.

Dwight Miller's son, Reid, made a series of phone calls the morning the theft was discovered. One of his first was to Bascom's, Seeley said. The person Miller spoke with said Bascom's had just bought maple syrup in the types of containers Miller described.

Two sheriff's deputies got a search warrant and found crumpled syrup labels bearing Miller's name in the wood stove at Bain's home.

Bain had put his own stickers on the containers, in one case covering over a Miller sticker that was just partially removed.

— Thanks to Out There reader Donna S.

Man vs. Deer in Bedroom Throw Down

BENTONVILLE, Ark. (AP) — For 40 exhausting minutes, Wayne Goldsberry battled a buck with his bare hands in his daughter's bedroom.

Goldsberry finally subdued the five-point whitetail deer that crashed through a bedroom window at his daughter's home Friday. When it was over, blood splattered the walls and the deer lay dead on the bedroom floor, its neck broken.

Goldsberry was at his daughter's home when he heard glass breaking. He went back to check on the noise and found the deer.

"I was standing about like this peeking around the corner when the deer came out of the bedroom," said Goldsberry.

The deer ran down the hall and into the master bedroom — "jumping back and forth across the bed."

Goldsberry, about 6-feet-1 and 200 pounds, entered the bedroom to confront the deer and, after a brief struggle, emerged to tell his wife to call police. After returning to the bedroom, the fight continued. Goldsberry finally was able to grip the animal and twist its neck, killing it.

Goldsberry, sore from the struggle, dragged the dead animal out of the house.

"He got kicked several times. He was walking bowlegged for a while," Deputy Doug Gay said.

At this time of year, a buck that sees its reflection in a window often charges, believing it is fighting off a rival, Gay said.

Goldsberry had the deer butchered.

"He's in the freezer," the man said before walking to the kitchen and showing off pounds of freshly wrapped venison.

— Thanks to Out There readers Brian G. and Mark N.

Belligerent Drunk Man, Green Lantern Team Up

ORANGE PARK, Fla. (AP) — The Belligerent Drunk Man costume was a hit at a Halloween party until the mild-mannered partygoer turned into his alter ego and started fighting with the Green Lantern, authorities said.

Clay County Sheriff's Office deputies Glenn Ward and D.J. Barker were the first to answer a disturbance call at the Bluff House Apartments at 5:20 a.m. Sunday and saw the partygoers "yelling and causing a disturbance" and fighting.

They found William A. Griffin, also known as Belligerent Drunk Man, in a navy blue sweat suit, a belt made completely out of beer can pop tops and a Superman-style emblem on this chest, which read "BDM." Joseph Gilliam was dressed as the Green Lantern.

After refusing police orders to leave, Griffin, 26, of Orange Park, was charged with disorderly intoxication and resisting arrest without violence. Gilliam, 37, was charged with disorderly intoxication and battery on a law enforcement officer after allegedly pushing Barker.

Ward has shared his story several times since Sunday.

"When it comes to all the Halloween parties I've seen, this was absolutely the funniest costume matching the person I have ever seen," he said.

Griffin pleaded no contest at his initial appearance Monday and was sentenced to time served, plus court costs. Gilliam was released on $753 bond Monday. There was no information immediately available on his legal representation.

— Thanks to Out There reader Katie L.

Electrocuted Squirrel Fires Up Neighborhood

BYRAM, Miss. (AP) — An electric lineman believes a squirrel started a grass fire Monday after the critter was electrocuted and fell from a power line onto parched ground.

It's been more than a month since significant amounts of rain have fallen in central Mississippi, though some showers were expected late Monday. Burn bans are in effect in this Jackson suburb and many other nearby communities.

Passing motorists saw a flash and heard a loud pop, then saw ashes falling from the power line. The spark ignited a grassfire, which spread to nearby pine trees and charred a fence. Byram volunteer firefighters responded within minutes.

An Entergy lineman arrived as the flames were extinguished and found the probable cause of the fire — the squirrel's charred body.

One of the motorists, Calvin Russell told Jackson's WLBT-TV: "I'm a country boy, so I'm thinking dinner time."

— Thanks to Out There reader Aimee H.

Chasing the Devil, Chasing the Devil

KINGWOOD, W.Va. (AP) — A good Samaritan had a run-in with a demon after stopping to help a vampire. The unidentified motorist was flagged down by Angela Caplinger of Kingwood after she got into an argument with her husband following a costume party on Saturday night.

She was wearing a vampire costume and her husband, 32-year-old Roy Wade Caplinger, was dressed as a demon, State Police Trooper Joe Portaro said.

Portaro said Angela Caplinger asked the motorist to take her to the sheriff's department. She got into the car and Roy Caplinger allegedly jumped on the hood.

"Imagine you're sitting on this dark roadway, you have a hysterical woman beside you, and the devil jumps on your hood," Portaro said. Seeing a demon on the car startled the motorist and the vehicle sped off, causing Roy Caplinger to fall off.

Portaro later saw a man dressed as a demon walking near the site of the incident and arrested him on charges of first-offense driving under the influence and second-offense domestic battery.

Roy Caplinger was treated and released from Preston Memorial Hospital, then taken to the Tygart Valley Regional Jail, still wearing his costume. But officers removed two demon horns from his head before taking his booking photo, Preston County Sheriff Ron Crites said.

Caplinger was later released on a $5,000 bond.

Compiled by FOXNews.com's Andrew Hard.

Got a good "Out There" story in your hometown? We'd like to know about it. Send an e-mail, with a Web link (we need to authenticate these things), to outthere@foxnews.com.