CAIRO – The Taliban's Web site claims it has captured a missing U.S. soldier American authorities had earlier said may have been kidnapped.
The Web site said Monday that the Taliban had "arrested a drunken American soldier" five days ago.
They said the soldier was still in their custody but would not elaborate on his whereabouts or their plans for him.
The Web site provided no proof of their claim.
The soldier is believed to be the first U.S. serviceman captured in Afghanistan.
The U.S. military earlier said it had intercepted communications in which insurgents talked about holding an American.
Meanwhile, a U.S. military spokesman says two more U.S. troops have been killed in a blast in southern Afghanistan, bringing to six the number of Americans killed Monday.
Navy Chief Petty Officer Brian Naranjo says all six American troops were killed in two roadside bomb attacks. Four American soldiers were killed in the north of the country. They were involved in the training of the Afghan security forces.
Naranjo did not have details about the two troops killed in the country's south, where thousands of U.S. Marines are pushing forward with the biggest American military offensive in Afghanistan since the ouster of the Taliban from power in 2001.