Stolen Guns Used in Deadly Washington State Rampage

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

Authorities said the man accused of a shooting rampage that left six people dead in northwest Washington stole the guns used in the attacks as well as a pickup truck involved in a high-speed chase.

According to court documents unsealed Wednesday in Skagit County District Court, Isaac Zamora stole a rifle, a handgun and ammunition from a residence near his mother's home in the small town of Alger, about 70 miles north of Seattle.

The Sept. 2 shootings that claimed the life of a Skagit County sheriff's deputy, two Alger area residents and two construction workers, continued as the shooter fled south on Interstate 5, firing at two cars and a Washington State Patrol trooper on the freeway, fatally injuring one driver.

After a high-speed police pursuit, Zamora, 28, surrendered at a sheriff's office in Mount Vernon, about 20 miles south of Alger.

Zamora has been charged with six counts of murder and four counts of assault. He is being held on $5 million bail with his next court appearance set for Oct. 3.

According to court documents, in a police interview after his arrest Zamora refused to discuss his specific actions but said God told him what to do and told him to "kill evil."

"God, why did I do it?" he blurted at one point in the interview.

Zamora's only comment in court when he was charged last Friday was to twice declare: "I kill for God. I listen to God."

Keith Tyne, a public defender appointed to represent Zamora, has said little about the case. After Zamora was charged, Tyne said, "Clearly there are significant mental health issues at play."

According to the documents, the events on Sept. 2 began with a 911 call from Dennise Zamora, the mother of Isaac Zamora, who called police because she was afraid her son was breaking into neighbor's houses, and might get shot doing so. Dennise Zamora has said her son has struggled for years with serious mental illness.

Deputy Anne Jackson, who had responded to a call about Isaac Zamora the day before in the same neighborhood, went to Dennise Zamora's house, according to an affidavit filed by Snohomish County sheriff's Detective Patrick VanderWeyst.

Jackson then went to the Alger home of Chester Rose, who had reported that Zamora had trespassed on his property. The deputy apparently returned fire before dying of multiple gunshot wounds. Her duty weapon was found on the property, VanderWeyst wrote.

Rose also was found dead at the home of multiple gunshot wounds.

The investigation indicates a rifle, a handgun and ammunition were stolen from a nearby house before the shooter confronted Jackson at the Rose residence.

Zamora then stole a Chevrolet pickup truck owned by one of two construction workers who were shot and killed at another nearby house, the court papers alleged.

As he made his way through the neighborhood, Zamora rammed the pickup into the garage door at the home of Fred Binschus, who was shot and wounded in the back, the affidavit said.

Moments later, Binschus' wife, Julie, arrived home.

"Fred heard Julie yelling and screaming and then heard anywhere from 4 to 6 gunshots," VanderWeyst wrote. Julie Binschus died of a gunshot wound.

Another neighbor, Richard Treston, told investigators that as he pulled into his driveway, the pickup driver rammed his vehicle. Both men got out of their vehicles, Zamora told Treston it was his day to die and tried to fire, but his rifle failed, according to court documents. Treston was stabbed in the chest, but survived.

Zamora left the neighborhood in the stolen truck and headed toward I-5, shooting and wounding a motorcyclist as he drove, authorities said.

He also allegedly shot at two moving cars on I-5, barely missing a couple in one vehicle, but killing a 64-year-old man in another. He also is accused of wounding a state trooper, who was shot in the arm.