THE HAGUE, Netherlands – Serb war crimes suspect Vojislav Seselj said Friday he is ending his hunger strike after judges granted several of his demands, the Yugoslav war crimes tribunal announced.
He launched his hunger strike Nov. 11 to back up a variety of demands including unrestricted spousal visits, the right to conduct his own defense and a request to have the three judges trying his case replaced.
Seselj made his decision to resume eating after the tribunal's appeals chamber allowed him to defend himself and court officials said they would meet other demands he had made to help him prepare his defense, the court said in a statement.
"The trial of Seselj is suspended until such time as he is fit enough to fully participate in the proceeding as a self-represented accused," the court said.
Seselj has pleaded innocent to charges he plotted with other prominent Serbs, including former Yugoslav President Slobodan Milosevic, to unleash a campaign of terror to drive non-Serbs out of parts of Bosnia and Croatia. He faces a maximum life sentence if convicted.
He remained in a guarded bed in a hospital wing of the Dutch jail that houses the tribunal's detention center.
"Due to the current health condition of Seselj, the appeals chamber ordered that his trial should not open until such time as he is fully able to participate in the proceeding as a self-represented accused," the court said.
Seselj had been eating nothing, drinking only water and refusing medication for his asthma.
A team of physicians picked by Seselj's supporters warned this week that he could die within two weeks after they examined him.