A senior South African policeman went on a shooting rampage, killing eight people -- including a 2-year-old baby -- before being shot dead by colleagues Tuesday, police said. A pedestrian was killed during a police chase of the suspect.

The victims of Monday night's shootings included four other policemen and three women. At least two other people were wounded seriously.

Superintendent Chippa Mateane, 42, killed his girlfriend, her daughter, granddaughter and niece Monday evening, police spokeswoman Mary Martins-Engelbrecht said. Another relative was wounded critically.

He then drove to his station in the Johannesburg township of Kagiso and opened fire on other policemen.

Mateane fled in a police car, eventually making his way to the township of Sebokeng, where he shot and critically wounded his brother.

Police killed Mateane early Tuesday after an extensive manhunt.

The rampage sent shock waves through a country accustomed to violent crime.

National Police Commissioner Jackie Selebi, who visited the scene by helicopter during the night, said he was "extremely dismayed at the news."

"It is unknown what sparked such an unacceptable level of rage in the superintendent, and it pains me to even try and understand what could cause a man to embark on such a senseless carnage," he said in a statement.

Martins-Engelbrecht said police officers were traumatized by the slayings.

The police and prison officers union called on the South African Police Service to "bolster its support system" for officers suffering from job-related stress.

South African radio quoted family friends as saying Mateane shot his girlfriend, Matshidiso Selena Mosia, 38, because he was unhappy about their troubled relationship.

The other victims included Mosia's daughter, Lerato, 24; granddaughter, Lebogang, 2; and niece Kelebigile Moobi, 21, Martins-Engelbrecht said.

Another niece, Masabata Moobi, 21, was hospitalized in stable condition and gave a statement to police.

The dead police officers were identified as a senior superintendent and three captains.

A South African Press Association reporter who visited the scene said blood-spattered dockets lay strewn around the detective's offices at the police station.

Two officers had been shot in the head and one in the chest. Their bodies were found under a table with three bullet holes in the walls behind.

The fourth victim was outside the office, with a bullet wound to the chest.

Martins-Engelbrecht said there were few details on how Mateane himself died.

"There was a confrontation between him and police officers after they cornered him," she said. "There was a shooting and he was fatally wounded."