Medical Examiner: Students in North Carolina Beach House Fire Died of Smoke Inhalation, Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Seven college students killed in a weekend fire at a beach house died from smoke inhalation and carbon monoxide poisoning from the blaze, the state's chief medical examiner said.

"There was no evidence of any other injuries," Dr. John Butts said Wednesday.

Butts said his office completed its examination of the victims on Tuesday, confirming their identifications through dental records.

Six students from the University of South Carolina and one student from Clemson University died in the fire on Sunday. Six USC students survived the fire, including one who escaped by jumping out of a window and into an adjacent canal.