Man Loses Both Arms After On-the-Job Electric Shock

A 22-year-old Sioux Falls man is recovering in a Nebraska hospital after an on-the-job accident led to the amputation of both of his arms.

Power lineman Brady Murphy suffered severe burns when he was shocked late last month while working near Onawa, Iowa.

He also suffered facial burns. His twin brother Ben, who also works for Highline Construction of Paynesville, Minn., said his brother has undergone seven surgeries and will likely need more.

“He was working out of a bucket, and nobody really knows what happened,” Ben Murphy told, the daily guide to Brandon, S.D.

Despite his life-changing injuries, his brother said Brady is hanging in there.

“He's doing a lot better than everybody expected,” Ben Murphy said. “He's doing pretty good.”

Both brothers have worked for the company for about three years.

Click here to read more about this story from

The Associated Press contributed to this report.