LOS ANGELES – A two-month investigation uncovered no evidence to support allegations that Michael Jackson (search) committed child abuse in the late 1980s in Los Angeles, police said Wednesday.
The Los Angeles Police Department (search) opened an investigation after a man whose name has not been released claimed to have been abused by the pop star as a child. The allegation was separate from the child molestation case currently under way against Jackson in Santa Barbara County.
"After an extensive investigation, which included hours of interviews with the person making the allegations, detectives concluded there was no evidence that any crime occurred," Los Angeles Police Lt. Art Miller said in a statement. "No charges will be sought."
Police did not disclose the nature of the accusations. Legal experts have said the allegations would be difficult to prosecute because of questions about why the accuser did not come forward sooner, and the reliability of any testimony about events from so long ago.
Jackson's attorneys did not return calls for comment Wednesday.
In other developments, a judge has barred a New Jersey man from displaying or selling Jackson collectibles until the resolution of the singer's lawsuit over the costumes, letters, legal documents and other items.
Henry V. Vaccaro took the items, which had been in storage in Oxnard, Calif., as part of a bankruptcy proceeding involving Jackson's parents and his brothers, Tito and Jermaine. He then displayed them on a pay-per-view Web site.
Vaccaro, a construction company owner, said he was awarded the items after years of legal wrangling stemming from a failed business venture that wound up in bankruptcy court.
Some of the items may play a role in Jackson's child molestation case, although it's unclear whether they would be helpful as evidence.
Vaccaro reportedly turned over the underwear and some handwritten notes to prosecutors in Monmouth County, N.J., who in turn handed them over to the Santa Barbara prosecutors. Jackson has pleaded not guilty.