I told you the other day Michael Jackson was pursuing Usher to be part of his charity single for the Gulf Coast.
Now Jackson has announced, through his publicist Raymone Bain, a roster of singers he claims will participate in the project.
They are: Jay-Z, Mariah Carey, Missy Elliott, R. Kelly, Wyclef Jean, Lenny Kravitz, Lauryn Hill, Mary J. Blige, Yolanda Adams, Kenneth "Babyface" Edmonds, James Brown, Snoop Dogg, the O'Jays and Ciara.
It's not clear whether any of this is true, or who's going to round all these people up.
One name not on the released list is Janet Jackson.
Janet is likely to stay far away from her brother right now rather than risk her new album — currently being finished — being tainted. Her last album, "Damita Jo," was destroyed by her 2004 Super Bowl fiasco.
There's also no mention of how money will be collected from Michael's project, or where it will go.
The press release, which this column received late last night, says only that the money will go to victims of Hurricane Katrina.
Everyone should be reminded that Jackson's charity, Heal the World, is no longer in business, and that money collected from a Feb. 14, 2001, Carnegie Hall benefit, co-produced with his then-friend Shmuley Boteach, has never been found.
There's also some question of who will produce or coordinate Jackson's effort. So far, none of his regular people have been called in to help.
I'm told the usual fighting is going on within his family, among brothers Randy and Jermaine and Jackson's make-up artist Karen Faye. Joseph Jackson, Michael's avaricious dad, who's debuting a movie on Thursday, is also said to be jockeying for position.
In other words: The people of the Gulf Coast should not hold their breaths waiting to see this money.
Meanwhile, millionaire songstress Denise Rich has written a song with actress Sharon Stone for the same purpose.
Rich told me at the Kia Milla fashion show that she's already recorded Celine Dion on the track, and is now putting more singers on it. (You can add singers to a track now by computer. There's no more of that "check your ego at the door" stuff.) No doubt Rich's pals Natalie Cole and Patti LaBelle will be featured.
You can always count on Oliver Stone for a little controversy.
As you may have heard, he's about to shoot a film about September 11th. The untitled film is set to star Nicolas Cage, Maria Bello, Michael Peña and Broadway's Donna Murphy, among others. The characters are New York City fire and police officers and their family members who survived the attacks.
So far, "9-11" is set to start production Oct. 1st. But there's a hitch: Stone wants to shoot at Ground Zero, the former site of the World Trade Center. I'm told he's not having much luck.
"It doesn't make sense anyway," says a source. "Most of the movie is interiors. It's not about the towers coming down. It's about the lives of the survivors."
Indeed, the survivors in question are John McLoughlin and William J. Jimeno, Port Authority police officers thought to be the last two men rescued from the collapsed towers, and their families.
In the end, it doesn't seem likely Stone will get permission to set up shooting in or around the actual World Trade Center site.
Cindy Adams suggested recently that Stone might recreate the site on a Los Angeles sound stage. That seems far-fetched, but in the end it may be all Stone can do for verisimilitude.
Some guests thought it was a "coming back" or "coming out" party.
Julius Nasso, who threw it, wanted to show off his new mini-movie studio next to his beachfront estate on Staten Island. Either way, you didn't think I was going to pass up this invitation, did you?
Nasso got sprung from prison in May after serving a year and a day. His crime? He pleaded guilty in 2004 to extorting money from his partner, action-movie star Steven Seagal, with whom he'd made six hits, beginning with "Marked for Death" in 1990.
When Seagal became a Buddhist and didn't want to make those movies anymore, Nasso, it was alleged, got mad. He sued Seagal for $60 million for breach of contract.
But apparently that wasn't all. In court, he admitted to hiring a Gambino crime family crew to scare Seagal. Seagal said he'd been forced into a car and driven to a Brooklyn restaurant for a "shakedown."
"I am very remorseful for what has occurred," Nasso told the court. "I promise you this will be the first and last time I will ever see a courthouse, except maybe for one I build on a [movie] set."
Well, now he's back. The Nasso-Seagal feud seems a little unimportant now.
It's not as if Seagal might one day make an Oscar-caliber movie. Nasso might be the first to say now, he shoulda let him go.
Anyway: no real celebrities showed up for the launching of Cinema Nasso Studios, but the trip was well worth it. Nasso sent buses and limos to Manhattan to fetch the guests, and they came and went willingly. (We drove. It just seemed like a better idea.)
"Hotel Rwanda" director Terry George came with a friend in one of the limos. Famed photographer Peter Beard — now boasting his own picture of Dorian Gray in his Montauk attic — arrived with a few beautiful young women. Chuck Mangione and his band played in a large tent set up on the backyard. They were swell.
Others on the guest list, like P. Diddy, were no-shows.
But what about the house? It was only when Victoria Gotti arrived that we got the nerve to ask for a tour. Gotti, petite and surprisingly funny, led the way.
Nasso — genial, friendly, and very popular with his guests — was kind enough to show off his beloved home. The architecture is what you might call modern eclectic. There is a lot of masonry everywhere, polished stones that dot the main house, guest house, and garage.
Beard said, "He shouldn't have varnished them."
Gotti was impressed. So were we. The woodwork alone was amazing.
From this vantage point, Nasso will now resume his movie career. He's got a lot of projects cooking.
After all, post-Seagal, he made the critically acclaimed "Narc." He had a credit on the classic Sergio Leone film "Once Upon A Time in America." And people love him.
The title of his next film? "Forgiven."