DAVENPORT, Iowa – An elementary school student in Davenport, Iowa, gave rat poison to seven classmates, but a district official says no one was sickened.
District spokeswoman Laura Bozarth says second- and third-graders at Monroe Elementary School ingested a small amount of pellets before school Tuesday. One student told a school employee.
Bozarth says some parents took their children to doctors but none showed any symptoms and most returned to school Wednesday. She says the state poison control center says a child would have to ingest a whole box of the blood-thinning poison involved to become ill.
Bozarth says it's unclear why the student brought the rat poison to school. She says police were called, but she declined to comment on the student's status.