Chronology of Levy Case

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

September 2000: Chandra Levy arrives in Washington from California to work for six months in the public affairs office of the federal Bureau of Prisons, which is needed for completion of her University of Southern California masters degree in public administration.

October 2000: Levy and a friend go to the office of Levy's congressman, Rep. Gary Condit. According to the Los Angeles Times, Condit invites the two women to accompany him to the House floor to watch him vote. The three then return to his office and have a picture taken together. Levy keeps a framed copy of this picture in her apartment.

November 2000: A relative of Levy's visits her in Washington for Thanksgiving. The two discuss Levy's romantic life, according to the Washington Post. The discussion contradicts denials later issued by Condit's office about an affair between the intern and the congressman.

December 23, 2000: Levy writes in an e-mail about a mystery man she is dating. The e-mail, provided by a friend, does not name the person Levy is dating, although it does clearly suggest some connection to Congress.

April 23, 2001: Levy finishes her internship at the Bureau of Prisons. She then talks to her building manager about breaking her lease.

April 28, 2001: Condit's wife Carolyn makes a rare visit to Washington to attend a gathering of the Congressional Wives Club hosted by Laura Bush. Mrs. Condit stays with her husband at his condo in the Adams Morgan neighborhood until May 3, 2001.

April 29 and 30, 2001: Levy calls Condit several times on a number that bypasses his congressional office.

April 30, 2001: Levy cancels her membership at Washington Sports Club. This was the last time that she was seen publicly.

May 1, 2001: Levy's parents, Dr. Robert and Susan Levy, get an e-mail from her at 10:45 a.m. saying that she is looking into either flying home or taking a train to be back in time for her graduation from USC on May 11, 2001. At some point she leaves her apartment and takes her house keys. In the apartment are packed suitcases, jewelry, a cell phone and her purse with her wallet, credit cards, and identification.

May 1-5, 2001: Levy's parents call to confirm her travel plans, and when she doesn't respond, they call repeatedly to find out where she is.

May 5, 2001: The Levys first contact the Washington, D.C. police.

May 6, 2001: The Levys call back to report their daughter missing. That evening Mrs. Levy calls Condit at his Ceres home to request his help. During the conversation she asks the congressman if he was having an affair with her daughter and he denies it.

May 7, 2001: Condit calls the D.C. police about Levy.

May 10, 2001: Levy's disappearance is made public. In a statement, announcing that he is contributing $10,000 in surplus campaign funds to a $25,000 reward fund, Condit calls Levy a "great person and a good friend."

May 10, 2001: D.C. police conduct their first search of Levy's apartment. D.C. police interview Condit for three hours.

May 11, 2001: Levy is absent from the USC masters program graduation in Los Angeles.

May 17, 2001: Condit misses three House votes — the first time he has missed a vote this year.

May 18, 2001: On day of Levy's planned graduation celebration, about 50 friends, former colleagues and others gather at 5 p.m. for a silent march around the California Capitol in Sacramento to call attention to her disappearance.

May 18, 2001: Levy's parents fly from Washington, D.C., to Oakland, Calif. At a news conference, they report on their mission to the nation's capital to press the search for their daughter.

May 24, 2001: Police carry out two searches: in Levy's neighborhood and in a heavy patch of woods near a popular jogging trail in the neighborhood where Condit lives.

May 26 2001: Police dogs search unsuccessfully for any sign of Levy. Police send dogs into the Rock Creek Park area where there is heavy underbrush and find nothing.

May 27, 2001: California police report they have received more than 100 tips since Levy's disappearance.

June 7, 2001: In response to an article in the Washington Post saying that Condit told law enforcement officials that Levy had spent the night in his apartment, Condit hires California attorney Joseph Cotchett.

June 16, 2001: Cotchett, after denying on television that Levy spent the night at the congressman's condo now says he "can't answer" the question and "that it's irrelevant"

June 20, 2001: The Levys announce that their lawyer is Billy Martin, who once represented Monica Lewinsky's mother.

June 21, 2001: Condit releases a statement that criticizes the "tabloidization" of the Levy case. "All I ask is that the media show restraint and avoid distracting the public and law enforcement from their primary task of trying to find Chandra."

Susan Levy meets with Condit at 9:30 p.m. Robert Levy declines to attend.

June 22, 2001: Condit hires criminal defense lawyer Abbe D. Lowell, who specializes in white-collar crime.

June 23, 2001: Condit meets with D.C. police at 3 p.m. for one hour. It is Condit's second police interview. Police say it is a routine interview. During this interview Condit tells investigators he "broke off his close friendship" with Levy two days before she disappeared.

June 24, 2001: D.C. Police Chief Charles H. Ramsey appears on ABC's This Week and discusses the Condit interview.

June 25, 2001: Newsweek cover story discusses the reasons why Levy was dismissed from the Federal Bureau of Prisons, where she worked as an intern. Newsweek reports that police sources say there is "some evidence" that Levy may have been upset by a recent breakup, and they believe Condit may be the man in question.

July 2, 2001: D.C. police say they believe Levy was in her apartment "for most of the afternoon" of May 1 — a little less than 24 hours after she was seen canceling her membership at the Washington Sports Club.

July 3, 2001: Anne Marie Smith, a 39-year-old United Airlines flight attendant, says she had an 11-month affair with Rep. Condit. Smith says an investigator for Condit's lawyers asked her June 15 to sign a declaration that said in part, "I do not and have not had a relationship with Congressman Condit other than being acquainted with him." Smith said she refused to sign it. Condit's lawyers deny knowledge of the document.

July 5, 2001: The wife of Rep. Gary Condit is questioned by law enforcement officers. Abbe Lowell says in a statement that the California Democrat will continue his public silence about Levy.

July 6, 2001: Investigators rule out the possibility that Levy killed herself. Police Chief Charles Ramsey says, "You can't kill yourself and bury yourself."

Linda Zamsky, Chandra Levy's aunt, tells the Washington Post in a 90-minute interview that her niece first told her about the affair with Condit over Thanksgiving. Zamsky says that Levy told her Condit gave her gifts such as a gold bracelet and Godiva chocolates.

During a 90-minute interview with the Washington D.C. police, Condit admits to having an affair with Levy. Sources say that Condit "reversed a denial that his aides had maintained since soon after the intern went missing after April 30." Condit is "apologetic" for not disclosing the affair, Newsweek reports.

July 7, 2001: At a news conference, Executive Assistant Police Chief Terrance Gainer says Condit was "challenged" by investigators to clarify the nature of this relationship with Levy. Gainer says Condit was cooperative, but the interview didn't bring investigators closer to finding Levy." Condit "was not a suspect before the meeting, he was not a suspect during the meeting, and he is not a suspect after the meeting," Gainer says.

July 8, 2001: Abbe Lowell does the Sunday morning talk show circuit stating that Condit has cooperated fully with police, and he is not talking to the press.

July 9, 2001: The Levys say they want Condit to submit to a lie detector test. Levy spokesman states: "It appears that the congressman has not told the complete truth about the relationship. He told investigators one story; he did not come forward and change that story until Chandra's aunt, Linda Zamsky, detailed publicly the extent of this relationship."

July 10, 2001: Police ask Condit to take a lie detector test and submit a DNA sample.

Police begin a search of Condit's apartment at 11:30 p.m. Police reiterate that Condit is not a suspect in Levy's disappearance. They say they are acting in response to an invitation by Abbe Lowell to allow a search. Police say authorities will conduct an "open-ended search" employing a chemical, Lumniol, that uses ultraviolet light to allow blood to be seen on surfaces, even after they have been cleaned or painted. The search lasts until 2:45 a.m.

July 11, 2001: Anne Marie Smith, the United Airlines Flight Attendant, arrives in D.C. to be questioned by the U.S. Attorney's Office.