BEIJING – A second person has died after taking an antibiotic that the Chinese government banned this week following the death of a 6-year-old girl, a news report said Saturday.
The 48-year-old woman died Wednesday in a hospital in the central city of Yichang in Hubei province after taking clindamycin phosphate glucose, the Xinhua News Agency said.
The Chinese government banned the use of the drug and ordered a recall this week after a girl who received it died and 48 other patients suffered symptoms ranging from diarrhea to shock.
China's drug industry is lucrative but poorly regulated, and the country has suffered a string of scandals over producers who substituted fake or substandard ingredients.
Earlier this year, 11 people died after receiving a drug that was improperly produced after one of its manufacturer's suppliers passed off a chemical that causes kidney failure for a key ingredient.