The major parties' biggest donors in the 2001-02 election cycle, the last time they could accept "soft money," which is corporate, union donations and unlimited contributions from any source:
NATIONAL DEMOCRATIC PARTY COMMITTEES:
1. Hollywood entertainment executive Haim Saban (search) and wife Cheryl Saban: $9.2 million.
2. Newsweb chief executive Fred Eychaner (search) of Chicago and wife Mildred Eychaner: $7.4 million.
3. Hollywood executive Steve Bing (search): $6.7 million.
4. American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees: $6.6 million.
5. Service Employees International Union: $4.7 million.
NATIONAL REPUBLICAN PARTY COMMITTEES:
1. Pharmaceutical Research & Manufacturers of America: $3.3 million.
2. Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corp. (Freddie Mac): $2.3 million.
3. Altria Group Inc. (formerly Philip Morris Cos.): $2.2 million.
4 (tie). AT&T and Microsoft: $1.8 million each.
Source: Political Money Line campaign finance tracking service.