10 Hospitalized After Breathing Carbon Monoxide Fumes at New York Boarding House

Officials say 10 people were taken to the hospital after breathing carbon monoxide fumes at a boarding house on Long Island.

Hempstead Fire Chief Michael Charles says two of the injured are children and at least three are in critical condition.

Charles says firefighters came to the two-story home at about 9 p.m. Friday and found a woman unconscious on a bed.

He says a badly repaired furnace caused carbon monoxide fumes to escape into the home.

Nassau University Medical Center spokeswoman Shelley Lotenberg says two adults and a child are hospitalized in critical condition. She says a baby was transferred to another hospital.

Charles says the home was an illegal boarding house. It is only zoned for single-family use.