Danny Welbeck scored a memorable goal in the 78th minute to help England secure a 3-2 comeback win over Sweden on Friday in Group D play, eliminating the Swedes.

Andy Carroll scored the lone goal of the first half as England appeared to be in control of the match. But all of its good work in the opening half was undone in a 10-minute stretch as Glen Johnson's own goal was followed by Olof Mellberg's header, which put Sweden up 2-1 with 30 minutes to play.

Theo Walcott was introduced just after the hour mark, and he equalized for the Three Lions a few minutes later before setting up the winning goal for Welbeck, who scored on a wonderful back-heel to hand England four points from its first two games, while Sweden is out after losing its first two matches.

Scott Parker's powerful long-range effort in the seventh minute was the first chance for either side, but Sweden goalkeeper Andreas Isaksson did well to tip it past the post.

Carroll didn't appear in England's opening match but he was given the start on Friday, and repaid manager Roy Hodgson's faith with a powerful header from Steven Gerrard's cross midway through the first half.

England put together a much better effort in the first half, but found itself on level terms in the 49th minute when Mellberg's shot from close range was deflected by goalkeeper Joe Hart and crossed the goal line after striking Johnson.

It was a bit of bad luck for the English, but they were guilty of some poor marking on Sweden's second goal, which arrived just before the hour mark.

Sebastian Larsson delivered a free kick from the left wing that found an unmarked Mellberg at the back post for a simple header that beat Hart.

However, Walcott's introduction sparked the England attack, and after John Terry forced a good reaction stop from Isaksson, Walcott scored from 20 yards to level the match from the subsequent corner kick.

Walcott continued to cause problems and he darted into the penalty area on the right and drove the ball to the near post, where Welbeck scored a highlight- reel goal to put England in front with 12 minutes to play.

The Arsenal winger nearly set up another goal in the 90th minute when his cross was volleyed on goal by Gerrard at close range, only for Isaksson to produce a fine stop.

But Sweden had no answer in the final minutes and will conclude its tournament against France on Tuesday, while England needs a win or draw against Ukraine in its last match to advance.