Utah State ends 10-game losing streak vs. BYU

Diondre Borel passed for 192 yards and ran for 68 more, throwing for one touchdown and running in another as Utah State ended a 10-game losing streak to BYU with a 31-16 victory Friday night.

Derrvin Speight ran for 91 yards and two touchdowns as the Aggies (2-3) handed BYU its fourth straight loss and a 1-4 record for the first time since 1973.

After enduring a few heartbreaks and a handful of blowouts in every meeting since 1993, the Aggies finally beat BYU again. A swarm of rowdy blue-clad fans stormed Merlin Olsen Field, celebrating Utah State's first win in the series since a 58-56 thriller in 1993.

Fans were already over the railing for the final 30 seconds, chanting "Ga-ry! Ga-ry!" for second-year coach Gary Andersen and enveloped the Aggies after they took a knee and ran out the clock.

Jake Heaps passed for 270 yards, but had to throw a lot to get those. He finished 27 of 55 with two interceptions and no touchdowns. BYU ran for just 65 yards and never recovered after falling behind 17-0.

It was the kind of game fans who had endured a lot over the years in a one-sided rivalry could really sit back and enjoy.

While Utah-BYU is the headline rivalry in the state, the fans in northern Utah like to make it clear that they also have a long history against the Cougars and cherish every victory that comes against the private school to the south. Those wins were limited to basketball until Friday, when Borel gave Utah State a 7-0 lead on a 79-yard pass to Xavier Martin with 6:57 left in the first quarter.

The Aggies added a 34-yard field goal by Braeden Loveless, then Borel scored on a 1-yard run to put the Aggies up 17-0.

Fans sensed a pending end to the futility and grew louder, then took it up several decibels later in the second quarter. BYU got within 17-3 on a field goal and Kerwynn Williams sprung the kickoff for a 67-yard return. Williams broke at least four tackles on his way to the 33-yard line with 3:38 left in the half.

Speight scored on a 1-yard run with 49 seconds left in the half.

Bryan Kariya scored on a 2-yard run with 3:44 left in the third quarter. It was BYU's first touchdown in the second half since the season opener and came only after Utah State was called for holding on fourth-and-goal from the 4.

BYU didn't score again until 31 seconds remained and Utah State fans even got to cheer on that when the Aggies blocked the extra point.