Fredette scores 47 to lead No. 11 BYU past Utah

Jimmer Fredettte scored 47 points and Jackson Emery added 20 points and set BYU's career steals record Tuesday night as the 11th-ranked Cougars beat Utah 104-79 to extend their winning streak to seven games.

BYU (17-1, 3-0 Mountain West) has won four straight and eight of the last nine against Utah.

The Utes (7-10, 0-3) came out determined to match BYU's intensity, and led 15-10 and 23-19.

Then BYU followed with a barrage of 3-pointers. A 3 by Emery pulled BYU within 23-22, and Fredette hit consecutive shots from beyond the arc for a 28-25 BYU lead. Fredette's three-point play with 5:12 left in the half gave BYU a 38-29 lead.

He hit a 3-pointer from 30 feet for a 43-33 lead, and scored BYU's final 13 points of the half, including a 40-footer at the buzzer that put the Cougars up 53-42.

The buzzer-beater gave Fredette 32 points in the first half and moved him past BYU great Danny Ainge in career 30-point games with 13. He trails only Michael Smith and Devin Durant, who had 17 apiece to top the Cougar record books.

Emery made his 196th career steal at the 12:47 mark of the first half, then passed ahead to Fredette for a layup. He entered the game tied with Ainge, who set the mark in 1981. Emery added one more steal.

Fredette and Emery left the game with 5:44 remaining, then came back in at the 4:15 mark, drawing boos from Utah fans dressed for a "red-out."

Fredette would add two free throws to finish with 47 points — two off the career high he scored last season against Arizona.

The game ended with BYU fans shouting "We Want Jimmer."

Fredette finished 6 of 9 on 3-pointers, 9 of 9 on free throws and 16 of 28 overall. His only big mistake was a missed dunk with 8:41 remaining after he tipped a loose ball ahead on a fast break.

Will Clyburn led Utah with 23 points and Josh Watkins added 19.

Clyburn pulled Utah within 63-53 with a layup with 12:26 remaining, and two free throws by Watkins cut it to nine points with 11:40 remaining.

But Noah Hartsock hit consecutive 3-pointers to give Utah a 72-57 lead with 10:12 left and the Cougars never looked back.