Cincinnati, OH – Dezmine Wells, the sophomore basketball player expelled from Xavier University last week, will not be charged in a case alleging him of sexual assault.
Hamilton County prosecutor Joseph T. Deters said Tuesday that a grand jury hearing the case has decided to ignore it after hearing all of the evidence.
Deters said he has "nothing but the greatest respect" for Xavier, but said he "would sincerely hope the institution would revisit" the situation leading to Wells' expulsion.
Xavier said last week that Wells was responsible for "a serious violation" of the code of student conduct.
"While we understand there is heightened interest in this situation because it involves a student-athlete, we must reiterate that first and foremost Xavier's interest and responsibility to all of our students is to provide a quality education in a safe and nurturing environment," the school said.
"A serious violation of Xavier's code of student conduct will not be tolerated. All Xavier students are subject to the same protections and consequences."
Wells, who was named a member of the 2012 Atlantic 10 Conference All-Rookie Team, averaged 9.8 points and 4.9 rebounds through 32 games last season.