Dundee United won for the seventh time in its last eight matches on Saturday, recording a 2-0 win at St Johnstone to move two points clear of the hosts in fourth place.

Scott Robertson put United in front after 32 minutes from a John Rankin pass, while Rankin found the net himself in stoppage time to seal the win.

St Johnstone came within inches of taking the lead in the second minute when Cillian Sheridan struck the post, while the home side was reduced to 10 men in the 57th minute as Francisco Sandaza was sent off.

The result also moves United to within three points of third-place Motherwell, which faces league champions Celtic on Sunday.

Rangers 3, Hearts 0

Edinburgh, Scotland - Rangers won its fourth consecutive match on Saturday by claiming a 3-0 victory over Hearts at Tynecastle Stadium.

The home side had won four of its previous five games and was coming off of a semifinal win over Celtic in the Scottish Cup. However, Rangers jumped out to a two-goal lead at halftime and Hearts was never able to pull a goal back.

Sone Aluko had the visitors in front just before the half-hour mark when he curled a free kick past goalkeeper Jamie MacDonald.

Andrew Little then scored the first of his two goals six minutes later from a Lee Wallace cross.

Craig Beattie could have reduced the deficit from the penalty spot, but his effort struck the crossbar, while Little netted his second goal a few minutes from time.

Aberdeen 2, Inverness 0

Inverness, Scotland - Aberdeen was fortunate to come away with a 2-0 road win against Inverness on Saturday as the Dons benefited from a pair of own goals to snatch all three points.

The visitors managed to put just one shot on target, but came away with two goals as both Roman Golobart and Kenny Gillet redirected balls into their own net.

The scoreless deadlock was broken in the opening minute of the second half when Golobart inadvertently sent a header into his own goal.

Aberdeen's Josh Magennis then helped seal the win with a shot that was saved by goalkeeper Jonny Tuffey, who parried the ball off his own man, Gillet, and into the net.

St. Mirren 4, Dunfermline 4

Paisley, Scotland - Dunfermline came from two goals down in the final 20 minutes to snatch a 4-4 draw at St Mirren, giving its slim survival hopes a bit of a boost.

Steven Thompson scored a hat trick for the home side, which appeared to be in a good position to claim a second win in three games when Thompson's third goal handed St Mirren a 4-2 lead in the 67th minute.

Liam Buchanan reduced to the deficit to 4-3 when he scored in the 71st and Andy Kirk rescued a point with a goal in the 88th minute when he nodded the ball home from close range after Joe Cardle's cross.

Dunfermline is now winless in its last 12 games and still trails Hibernian by six points in the race for survival with four matches to play.