DeSean Jackson's high-kicking return to Philadelphia ends in 37-34 loss for Redskins

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

DeSean Jackson wasn't going to let Philadelphia forget him.

The receiver cut by the Eagles last winter caught an 81-yard touchdown pass, then added a Rockettes-style kick to his celebration as his former fans loudly booed. He gained 117 yards on five catches, but couldn't get the Washington Redskins a win.

The Eagles rallied for a 37-34 victory Sunday.

"Honestly, it's a new time. It's a new era," Jackson said. "I don't see them worrying about me, and I don't worry about them. I'm happy where I'm at."

Playing after hurting his shoulder last week, Jackson tied the game 27-27 late in the third quarter on a fly pattern, shaking off an attempted tackle by Cary Williams and turning around as he pranced into the end zone — then making a kicking motion as if to remind the Eagles that they kicked him out of Philadelphia.

"Those are spur-of-the-moment type things," Jackson said. "When I get the opportunity to make plays, whatever comes to my mind, that's what I'm going to react to."

Quarterback Kirk Cousins praised Jackson as "a lightning strike waiting to happen, and that's why you bring him in. He just really competed hard today, which is fun."

Cousins threw for 427 yards and three touchdowns in his first start replacing injured Robert Griffin III. Cousins came in last week to pass for two TDs when RG3 hurt his ankle.

Jordan Matthews, the draft pick who replaced Jackson, and veteran Jeremy Maclin lifted the Eagles. Mathews caught two touchdown passes and Maclin had one.

The nasty game was marred by a fourth-quarter brawl near the Washington sideline after Eagles quarterback Nick Foles was blindsided by defensive lineman Chris Baker during an apparent interception return. Baker and Eagles left tackle Jason Peters were ejected — and then the INT was overturned by video replay. That led to Maclin's 27-yard touchdown to break a 27-27 tie.

As they did in record-setting fashion in their first two victories, the Eagles fell into a hole. Kai Forbath's 49-yard field goal made it 17-7. Once again, the Eagles didn't flinch.

The Redskins couldn't handle Matthews, Philadelphia's second-round pick from Vanderbilt. He slipped into the back of the end zone off play-action for an 11-yard pass from Foles, who threw for 325 yards. Then Matthews took a perfect toss over two defenders for a 10-yard TD and the halftime lead.

The Redskins had a chance to go ahead in the fourth quarter, but Forbath, who'd made 18 straight field goals, hit the right upright with a 33-yarder with 10:07 left.

On the next play, the officials ruled on the field that Breeland intercepted Foles — leading to the brawl. But replays clearly showed the ball hit the ground.

And Philly was aided by another video review soon after when Maclin's lunging sideline catch was called incomplete, then reversed. Two plays later, Maclin was in the end zone.

The Eagles are the first NFL team to start a season 3-0 after trailing by 10-plus points in each game.

Maclin credited Foles' toughness with inspiring the Eagles.

"That's the guy you want, the guy who gets up play after play," Maclin said.

Maclin, who missed all of 2013 with a knee injury, finished with eight catches for 154 yards. Matthews also had eight receptions.

The Eagles, who rallied from 17 points down in their first two victories, dropped Washington to 1-2 even though the Redskins outgained Philly 511-379.

Rookie Cody Parkey's third field goal, a 51-yarder with 5:55 remaining, turned out to be the winning points when Washington scored a late TD.

Philadelphia's Chris Polk had a 102-yard kickoff return, the first for an Eagle at Lincoln Financial Field, which opened in 2003.

NOTES: Quintin Demps was the last Eagle to return a kickoff for a TD, in 2008. ... Washington CB DeAngelo Hall needed help getting off the field after an Achilles tendon injury. OG Shawn Lauvao had knee swelling, DL Jason Hatcher hurt his hamstring, and S Duke Ihenacho injured his foot. ... Philadelphia lost C Jason Kelce (abdomen), and RB LeSean McCoy was checked for a concussion before returning.