Republican Rep. Pete Hoekstra announced Monday that he will not be seeking re-election in 2010 -- just weeks after Republicans endured double-digit losses in the House.
In an interview Monday with FOX News Radio, the Michigan Republican said his decision to retire from the House was a personal one, reached between himself and his wife, and dismissed any suggestions that minority-party fatigue is behind the decision.
"I am really hopeful and excited by this new session of Congress whether it's (in) the minority or the majority," Hoekstra said.
"It looks like this administration is going to try and do problem solving on a bipartisan basis and try to do what is right for America so I actually am coming back to Washington in January as excited about any term of Congress as ... I have ever served," he said.
Hoekstra said that he is open to new opportunities in and out of politics -- and said he has not ruled out running for Michigan's governor in 2010.
"We really haven't made any decisions as to whether I run for governor in 2010. Were just going to enjoy the holidays, step back and early in 2009 we will start evaluating different opportunities and different options as we do the work that we need to do in Washington D.C.," he said.
On the emergency auto bailout bill that failed in the Senate last week, Hoekstra said he is confident that President Bush will act quickly to provide car makers with the necessary aid.
Hoekstra has represented Michigan's 2nd congressional district since 1993.
FOX News' Mike Majchrowitz and Chad Pergram contributed to this report.