The leader of an Iranian opposition group faulted the United Nations and the U.S. for failing to live up to a commitment to prevent the murder of Iranian dissidents at an refugee camp known as Camp Liberty in Iraq last week. The camp was bombarded by rockets on Thursday, leaving 23 members of the People's Mujahedeen of Iran dead.
Speaking at an event held in Paris on Sunday, Maryam Rajavi, president-elect of the National Council of Resistance of Iran, said the attack was "an attempt by the clerical regime to prevent its downfall amidst growing domestic demands for freedom."
Several world leaders have condemned the attack, including U.N. Secretary General Ban Ki-moon and Secretary of State John Kerry, who said the U.S. is reaching out to the Iraqi government to "ascertain the full extent of this unprovoked attack" and to "find the perpetrators and hold them accountable for the attack, consistent with its obligations under the Dec. 25, 2011, agreement with the United Nations."
Rajavi said she believes the attack could have been averted completely if the U.S. and U.N. had fulfilled an agreement signed four years ago which declared Camp Liberty a "Temporary Transit Location" and guaranteeing the residents' safety.