A routine knee operation led to the death of a 45-year-old woman in England after she contracted a rare flesh-eating infection, the Daily Mirror reported.

Maria Garcia, a Spanish-born dance instructor, was admitted to Spire Harpenden Private Hospital in Hertfordshire, South East England last month for the surgery. But less than 48 hours later, her condition started to deteriorate.

Garcia ended up dying from septic shock caused by the flesh-eating bug, necrotizing fasciitis, according to the report.

This very severe type of infection develops when bacteria enters the body, usually through a minor cut or scrape, the National Institutes of Health said on its website. It can destroy the muscles, skin and deeper layers of tissue.

A hospital investigation has been launched.

"The hospital team who looked after Ms. Garcia are shocked and upset,” a hospital spokeswoman said. “This was an extremely rare infection."

Click here to read more from the Daily Mirror.