- Image 1 of 3
- Image 2 of 3
- Image 3 of 3
Food has been used as medicine for centuries. Now more than ever with the high rate of diabetes and heart disease we are beginning to be more health conscious. People are beginning to pay more attention to exactly what it is that they put in their bodies and avoid food grown with chemical fertilizers.
Buying organic products is more costly. If you start by incorporating a few items of organic produce in your diet, however, you will feel better about your diet. Here are a few essentials you can buy organic that will lessen your exposure to toxic pesticides and chemicals.
1. Dairy Products: buying organic milk and dairy products will increase desirable fatty acids, vitamins and antioxidants. Conventional cow's milk usually contains growth hormones used to increase their milk production and antibiotics used to decrease infections.
2. Apples: apples are known to carry a higher percentage of harmful pesticides than most other fruits; this includes applesauce and apple juice. If you can’t find organic apples, try pineapples or mangoes.
3. Eggs: free-range eggs are typically all natural, hormone and antibiotic free. It doesn’t have to say organic on the label to fit these requirements. This will ensure that your eggs come from chickens that haven’t been mistreated and live in a small space. Be sure to ask your grocer if they are not labeled.
4. Berries: this includes strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and cherries. It is best if you go to your local Farmer’s market and purchase berries that are in season for guaranteed freshness and wholeness. You could always use bananas in place of berries on your cereal or oatmeal.
5. Lettuce: this includes spinach, kale and other mixed greens. You can also buy these at your local farmers markets, try to buy loose leaf as opposed to bagged lettuce it is usually more cost effective. A great alternative if you can’t buy organic is asparagus.
Remember always wash and peel your fruits and vegetables before eating them. Lowering the volume of pesticides we consume daily will allow our bodies to do what they are naturally meant to do; heal. Making these small changes everyday in your diet allow you to continue your road to a healthier and longer life.