Nothing says brunch like warm, chewy French toast dripping in maple syrup. But with a typical serving containing over 600 calories and 36 grams of fat, it's far from the healthiest option if you are watching your waistline.
So I set out to tackle this brunch staple and came up with a recipe that is a hit with adults and kids alike. Swapping white bread for whole wheat bread bumps up the fiber content and helps to keep you feeling full all morning long. By replacing whole eggs and milk with egg whites and skim milk, you save hundreds of calories and grams of fat.
My banana French toast has become a staple in my house, with both my 5-year-old son and 38-year-old husband begging me to make it every Sunday. The recipe couldn't be easier and best of all - it's so delicious, no one realizes how healthy it is!
Banana French Toast
Feel free to substitute the banana for 1 cup of strawberries or blueberries. It's equally delicious!
3 egg whites
1/4 cup skim milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon Splenda
1 ripe banana
8 slices light whole wheat bread
Reduced calorie maple syrup (optional)
- In shallow bowl, using a wire whisk beat the egg whites, milk, vanilla, cinnamon and Splenda.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Lightly spray a nonstick skillet with cooking spray; hear over medium heat. Dip 4 of the bread slices into the egg mixture, turning to coat and draining excess back into the dish.
- Place the bread slices into the skillet. Cook until golden brown, turning once, about 1 to 2 minutes per side.
- Transfer cooked slices to a plate; keep warm in the oven. Repeat with the remaining bread slices.
- Divide French toast among serving plates and top with maple syrup, if desired.
Per Serving: 126 Calories, 28g Carbohydrate, 10g Fiber, 12g Protein, 2g Total Fat, 0g Sat. Fat, 349mg Sodium
is a nutritionist and the creator of The F-Factor DietaC/, an innovative nutritional program she has used for more than ten years to provide hundreds of her clients with all the tools they need to achieve easy weight loss and maintenance, improved health and well-being. For more information log onto