Patient Dies of Smoke Inhalation After Being Abandoned on Operating Table During Hospital Fire

Shanghai police were investigating Thursday after a man died when he was allegedly abandoned under general anesthetic on a hospital operating table after a fire broke out.

The 49-year-old was undergoing an amputation after surviving a traffic accident when a blaze broke out in an adjacent operating theater of Shanghai No. 3 People's Hospital at about 10:00pm Wednesday, the Shanghai Daily reported.

Police said he died from smoke inhalation.

Officials were quoted as saying that all other patients were evacuated during the emergency, but that when staff returned to the building they found the man dead on the operating table.

Click here to read more.