A British man ended up in the emergency room after his attempts to suck a moth out of his ear with a vacuum cleaner failed.
Jay Chinn, 40, was watching television when a moth flew into his ear and became lodged in his eardrum, the Daily Mail reported.
“I couldn't quite believe it at first, but I could hear it buzzing away in my ear. It was really loud, like having something flapping around inside your head,” he told the paper. “I bent over and shook my head about, I held my nose and blew as I hard as I could, but it just wouldn't come out.”
Chinn spent an hour trying to dislodge the insect with a toothpick before attempting to suck it out with a vacuum cleaner – but nothing worked.
He finally went to the emergency room at Derriford Hospital in Plymouth, England, where doctors used a surgical vacuum to remove the moth from his ear canal.
“It was really painful because it was right down on my eardrum, but it came out in the end,” he said.
Chinn said his hearing has fully recovered and the only injury he sustained was a scratch from the toothpick.