A mishap in a high school biology class sent several students and their teacher to the hospital Wednesday afternoon.

Students in the lab at Arlington High School said they were working on an experiment to test for proteins and amino acids. It involved mixing several chemicals.

The teacher opened a vial under a vent hood and it caused an unexpected reaction that released fumes that smelled like burning chemicals, they said.

The teacher and five students were overcome by nausea, dizziness and headaches. They were taken to the hospital for evaluation.

The rest of the class was evacuated.

Click for more from MyFoxDFW.