Girl, 10, gets safety pin stuck up nose

A 10-year-old girl needed surgery after getting a safety pin wedged up her nose.

Moumita Let was apparently using the clasp to clean her nostrils when it got wedged in an open position inside her sinuses.

She was taken to hospital in excruciating pain and doctors had to remove the pin through her mouth under general anesthetic.

The youngster is said to be making a good recovery after the procedure at a state hospital in Suri, West Bengal, India.

The girl is said to have recovered from her injury and has since been discharged.

The girl is said to have recovered from her injury and has since been discharged. (SWNS)

Dr. Suvendu Bhattacharya told how Moumita was brought in by her parents on September 8.

GIRL WITH DIABETES DIES AFTER BLOOD SUGAR DROPS DURING SLEEPOVER

“The child was brought to our hospital at around 5 p.m. with severe pain and continuous bleeding from the nose," he said. "On examining her, I noticed that the safety pin was open and got lodged inside her nostril."

"I got her X-ray done, and told the parents that it is a problematic case as the safety has got wedged inside the nose," Bhattacharya said. "I informed them that the pin can be removed only after giving general anesthesia to the patient, and there were chances of injury as the pin wedged inside was causing constant bleeding."

The general anaesthetic could only be administered after six hours of fasting so the procedure could not begin until 10:30 p.m.

And because of limited available equipment, Bhattacharya had to use an endoscope and his fingers to manually to locate the safety pin.

WEST NILE VIRUS CAUSE OF NJ MAN'S DEATH, OFFICIALS SAY

“I saw that the pin was wedged behind the middle turbinate of the nose," he said. "It was impossible to pull it out from the front as the pin was open from inside and would have caused further injury. We had already put a nasal tube to enable her to breathe."

"Besides this, we placed a throat peg so that in case the pin gets dislodged, it did not enter the food pipe or trachea." Bhattacharya said. "Then I inserted the endoscope into the nostril and got the pin dislodged pushing into the mouth from it was finally retrieved."

The child, from Gumta village in Birbhun district of West Bengal, has been discharged and is doing fine, he added.