This recipe contains everyday ingredients but provides big flavor – and no Chilean meal is complete without it. Studies have shown that onions can help increase our bone density, but that means daily intake, so don’t hold back when incorporating onions in your mail. Onions have also shown to lower the risk of numerous cancers, including colorectal, laryngeal and ovarian cancers, and this is just by consuming a few days a week. Punch up the flavor and try this recipe today. It’s great in sandwiches and burgers, too!
• 1 large Spanish onion, thinly sliced
• 4 medium ripe tomatoes, sliced julienne style
• 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
• 1 garlic clove, crushed
• 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
• ½ lime, juiced
• Fresh ground pepper to taste
• 1 avocado, cubed (optional)
1. Thinly slice onion and place in bowl of cool salted water for one hour.
2. While marinating the onions, slice tomatoes and chop your cilantro. Then place in a large serving bowl.
3. Crush garlic. Add olive oil and mix.
4. Drain onions (you may need to pat dry with paper towels).
5. Add to salad bowl and pour garlic and olive oil mixture.
6. Add lime juice and fresh ground pepper. Toss until well-blended.
Options: Add avocado. And if you’re not a fan, replace cilantro with fresh parsley.
Elizabeth Carrion, a Dominican, co-founded Mi Cocina, a New Jersey-based catering service that also offers cooking classes, with her sister, Ana Martinez.