In Brazil, as well as many countries in Asia, Avocados are used to make desserts, ice creams and smoothies, while in the U.S. the avocado is predominantly used for savory dishes. This fruit is full of healthy fats and nutrients so consider this “good for you” snack next time you’re on the go.
• 1 avocado
• 2 cups skim milk
• 1 cup ice
• ½ can condensed milk, fat free
• 4 ounces passion fruit, frozen (usually found in the Latin section of the frozen food aisle)
• Fresh berries (optional)
1. Peel, pit and scoop avocado.
2. Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth (about 1 minute).
3. Pour into glasses and garnish with fresh blueberries.
4. Smoothie will be thick like a frappe. For a thinner consistency, add more milk.
Elizabeth Carrion, a Dominican, co-founded Mi Cocina, a New Jersey-based catering service that also offers cooking classes, with her sister, Ana Martinez.