Pic shows: Doctors extract the parasite from Xiao Feiâs brain.
A boy in China has had a 7.5-centimetre (3-inch) parasite removed from his brain after he began experiencing involuntary twitching on his face.
Doctors said the boyâs habit of drinking unboiled water was to blame.
The schoolboy known as Xiao Fei, aged 10, is said to have been sitting in his fourth-grade classroom recently when his teacher noticed the switching on his face.
The boy had been staying with his elderly relatives in a Jiâan City village, in East Chinaâs Jiangxi Province, while his parents worked in southern China, reports said.
The worried teacher rushed Xiao Fei to a local hospital, which considered his condition too serious and which transferred him to a hospital in Jiangxiâs provincial capital Nanchang City.
Xiao Feiâs parents joined him in Nanchang, where doctors diagnosed him with a parasitic infection and prescribed him with antiparasitic drugs for three weeks.
His symptoms of twitching once every two or three days was brought under control and he was eventually allowed to return home.
But reports said Xiao Feiâs condition worsened, sometimes causing him to twitch 20 times a day.
The boyâs mother, surnamed Zuo, then took him to the city of Guangzhou, capital of South Chinaâs Guangdong Province, where she worked, and he was admitted to the Guangdong 999 Brain Hospital.
Doctor Wu Jie of the hospital in Guangzhou found that the parasitic worm had made its way into Xiao Feiâs brain, and an operation was performed to have it removed, with the child expected to make a full recovery.
Doctor Wu noted that the parasite most likely entered Xiao Feiâs body through unboiled and unsanitary water often drunk in rural villagers.
He warned that, besides water, parasites can also be found in uncooked meat.
NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
A young boy who suffered from as many as 20 daily twitches in his face was actually infected by a parasite in his brain, doctors said.
Xiao Fei, 10, of East China’s Jiangxi Province, complained about the twitch to a teacher, who brought him to a local hospital, who deemed his condition serious enough to transfer him to a bigger hospital, Central European News (CEN) reported.
He was diagnosed with a parasitic infection and given antiparasitic drugs for three weeks until his symptoms improved and he was allowed to return home. However, his condition worsened.