Aioli is a traditional Provençal mayonnaise-like sauce flavored with garlic. This fragrant and creamy delight goes well with fish, vegetables or eggs. Best of all, it is easy to make and shouldn't take you much longer than five minutes.
You will need three-quarters of a cup of olive oil, two cloves of garlic, two eggs, kosher salt and pepper, one teaspoon of lemon juice, one dessert spoon of spicy mustard and fresh herbs of your choosing.
You will need a bowl, cutting board, knife and whisk.
Make oily paste
- Peel and slice two cloves of garlic into a mince.
- Sprinkle the garlic with kosher salt.
- Use your knife to grind the salt with garlic to create an oily paste.
Prepare mixing bowl
- Put garlic/salt paste into mixing bowl.
- Crack two eggs and drop yolks into bowl.
- Add dessert spoon of spicy mustard.
Whisk and add flavoring
- Whisk mixture together.
- Add one teaspoon of lemon juice and continue whisking.
- Add a pinch of pepper and continue whisking.
- Add one teaspoon of vinegar.
Whisk and slowly add olive oil
- Add a teaspoon of olive oil to the mixture and whisk well.
- Repeat the previous step many times. Slowly add the rest of your olive oil. If you add too much in one shot, the oil and egg will separate. If you notice that the mixture is not emulsifying, slow down and whisk thoroughly before continuing.
Taste aioli and alter to your preferences
- Taste the aioli. If it doesn't taste exactly how you would like, add fresh herbs, salt or pepper to give it the kick you desire. Continue whisking until the ingredients are blended seamlessly.
- Bon appétit!