A 2-year-old Virginia girl whose parents went to court to block a hospital from performing a brain death test on the child has died.

A spokesman for Virginia Commonwealth University Health System said Monday that Mirranda Grace Lawson passed away on Nov. 1.

Lawson had been on life support since May, when she choked on a piece of popcorn. Her doctors said they were certain she wouldn't recover and wanted to perform a test that they said would confirm she was brain dead.

Lawson's parents refused to allow the test, saying they worried it would harm her.

A phone number for Lawson's parents wasn't working Monday and they didn't immediately respond to an email. An attorney for Lawson's parents did not immediately respond to a message left at his office.