The best recipes require no cooking at all. Well, either way, here's my recipe for sunchoke hummus.
- 1 pound sunchokes (Jerusalem artichokes), scrubbed clean
- 2 15-ounce cans of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for garnish
- 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- zest and juice of 1 Meyer lemon
- pinch of cayenne, plus more for garnish
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley, for garnish
- Place the sunchokes in a medium-sized pot and cover with cold water.
- Cook over high heat until very tender, about 35-40 minutes (a fork should be able to pierce the flesh easily).
- Remove from heat and drain. Cut the larger pieces roughly into 1-inch chunks.
- Combine the sunchokes, chickpeas, olive oil, garlic, lemon zest and juice, and cayenne in the bowl of a food processor and blend until smooth (you may need to do this in batches).
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve garnished with additional olive oil, cayenne, and the parsley.