Pic shows: boy being attended by paramedics;
Dramatic mobile footage has caught the tense moment rescuers performed CPR on a two-year-old boy whose heart stopped after he was stung by a deadly box jellyfish.
The little Russian lad, not named, was on holiday on Koh Samui Island in southern Thailandâs Surat Thani Province with his mum, 29-year-old Yekaterina Ivanova.
He was swimming in shallow waters with her when the extremely venomous species of box jellyfish (Cubozoa) stung him and caused him to scream in agony.
It was not long before the boy lost consciousness as the venom started to take effect. His mum shouted for help and luckily beachgoers nearby rushed over to help them get out of the water.
Watcharin Kongmun, one of the locals at Lamai beach where they were swimming, helped them get out of the water and quickly administered CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation) to the little boy as Yekaterina frantically looked on.
And in an amazing escape from death, the two-year-old regained consciousness and was taken to the Bangkok-Samui hospital for treatment.
Yekaterina was said to have also suffered a painful sting from the box jellyfish but, because her body mass was bigger, she was not as quickly affected by the venom.
Both mother and son received treatment at hospital and are now said to be out of danger and currently recovering.
There have already been 11 cases of tourists being stung by box jellyfish in Thailand since 31st June this year.
The animal gets its name from its cube-like shape and is feared by swimmers and fisherman around the world because of its deadly venom.
The Cubozoa species is largely restricted to the tropical Indo-Pacific region, but some species can be found in the Atlantic Ocean, in the east Pacific Ocean, in the Mediterranean Sea, on the Japanese coast and even as far south as South Africa.
User âcumgranosalumâ said: "Jellies are around all year here and their sting is frequently deadly - they are one of the most deadly sti
A relaxing beach day turned into a nightmare for a Russian family after their 2-year-old son was stung by a box jellyfish. The boy’s heart stopped as rescuers scrambled to revive him.
The boy, who was not named, was on Koh Sumui Island in southern Thailand with his mother, Yekaterina Ivanova, and swimming in shallow waters when he was stung, Central European News (CEN) reported. The boy lost consciousness and beachgoers helped him out of the water.
A beachgoer administered CPR to the little boy, who regained consciousness and was taken to the Bangkok-Samui hospital.
According to CEN, Ivanova, 29, was also stung by the deadly box jellyfish, but because her body mass was bigger, she was not as quickly affected by the venom.