A New York man was arrested Thursday for allegedly planning to carry out an attack on an upstate New York restaurant on ‘behalf’ of ISIS as part of his plan to join the terror organization overseas.

Emanuel L. Lutchman, a 25-year-old U.S. citizen and self-professed Muslim convert who lives in Rochester, was charged with attempting to provide material support to ISIS and faces up to 20 years in prison and $250,000 fine, according to the complaint.

Lutchman claimed to have been directed by a member of the terror group to attack the restaurant in an effort to join the group, the complaint said.

The FBI said in a criminal complaint that Lutchman and an accomplice working for the FBI bought knives and a machete for the attack.

Lutchman was arrested Wednesday. It's not immediately clear who represented him at an initial court appearance.

The Buffalo News reported that Lutchman previously spent five years in prison and had "state mental hygiene arrests" dating back to 2006.

Rochester Mayor Lovely Warren announced early Thursday evening that the city's New Years Eve fireworks display was cancelled, WHAM reported.

The cancellation was not related to a credible threat, but was made to allow more police to be available throughout the city, Chief of Police Michael Ciminelli said.

Family events scheduled at Rochester's Convention Center were set to carry on as planned.